Wednesday, May 6, 2009

there must be a better way...

Asian pear aka #685

I prefer my produce sticker-free. The problem was that we had eaten up all of the fruit we'd purchased during our last trip to the farmers market and it was only Wednesday. The farmers market is a great place for finding sticker-free fruit, but it's not open every day. The market vendors would not return until Saturday, so I decided to stop at The Real Food Company, a neighborhood market on Fillmore Street in San Francisco, to purchase a few pieces of fruit. The Asian pear I bought was delicious, but those stickers--why do they irk me so? The sticker on my Asian pear, well, it wasn't even one of the colorful little stickers with a logo, fancy font, or cute fruit drawing on it, just a drab number inked on a rectangle in faded black.

It seems I'm not the only one with strong feelings about these little stickers. I took a look around and found many individuals with thoughts on the topic.

Some were annoyed and others were extremely bothered. There were those who were fascinated, some were even inspired. One woman thought Great! Art supplies for my daughter! A 19-year-old got resourceful and found a way to recycle. One gentleman was even willing to die to get rid of the sticky little guys, but this video was probably the most interesting, creative, and definitely the most odd explanation I found for the use of the fruit sticker. In 2005 the New York Times wrote that the fruit tattoo was replacing the fruit sticker and that tattooed fruit was being sold "nationwide". This is strange because it is now 2009 and I have yet to see a tattooed piece of fruit. It seems RediRipe has some ideas too. It goes on and on.

Hmmm...so what have I learned? There is more than one way to view the fruit sticker.

Enjoy your fruit!

2 comments:

  1. Is an Asian pear the same as what we (in NZ) call a Nashi pear? It certainly looks the same.

    Our shops have been promising us tattooed or lasered fruit for years too, but I've yet to see any!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi sue,

    it seems you are correct, an Asian pear is just another name for a Nashi pear, or the other way around.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrus_pyrifolia

    thanks,
    denise

    ReplyDelete