Monday, March 30, 2009

you mustn't cook!

making homemade tamales @ Dad's


I just finished reading the short story,
The Cottagette by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
(EDIT>FIND>'The Cottagette' until you see the full text of the story...)

Ms. Perkins Gilman always had such an interesting perspective on the topics she explored in her writing.

I love my time in the kitchen, but after reading this story I can't help but wonder, what would my life be like if I didn't cook?

Hmmm...

excerpt:
We were off in ten minutes, light-footed and happy, and the day was all that could be asked. He brought a perfect lunch, too, and had made it all himself. I confess it tasted better to me than my own cooking; but perhaps that was the climb.
When we were nearly down we stopped by a spring on a broad ledge, and supped, making tea as he liked to do out-of-doors. We saw the round sun setting at one end of a world view, and the round moon rising at the other; calmly shining each on each.
And then he asked me to be his wife.--
We were very happy.
"But there's a condition!" said he all at once, sitting up straight and looking very fierce. "You mustn't cook!"

2 comments:

  1. Saw you comment over on Molly's site and just had to come over and tell you how much I appreciated it. What a great guideline by which to make hard decisions!

    Peeked at your site and the mentions of Pt. Reyes and Inverness Ridge made me homesick. I grew up in W. Marin.

    I'll be back to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tea-
    West Marin is such a beautiful place. I bet your childhood was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete