[code] [/code] Chez Danisse: you mustn't cook! [code] [/code]

Monday, March 30, 2009

you mustn't cook!

making homemade tamales @ Dad's

I just finished reading the short story,
The Cottagette by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
(EDIT>FIND>'The Cottagette' until you see the full text of the story...)

Ms. Perkins Gilman always had such an interesting perspective on the topics she explored in her writing.

I love my time in the kitchen, but after reading this story I can't help but wonder, what would my life be like if I didn't cook?


We were off in ten minutes, light-footed and happy, and the day was all that could be asked. He brought a perfect lunch, too, and had made it all himself. I confess it tasted better to me than my own cooking; but perhaps that was the climb.
When we were nearly down we stopped by a spring on a broad ledge, and supped, making tea as he liked to do out-of-doors. We saw the round sun setting at one end of a world view, and the round moon rising at the other; calmly shining each on each.
And then he asked me to be his wife.--
We were very happy.
"But there's a condition!" said he all at once, sitting up straight and looking very fierce. "You mustn't cook!"


  1. Saw you comment over on Molly's site and just had to come over and tell you how much I appreciated it. What a great guideline by which to make hard decisions!

    Peeked at your site and the mentions of Pt. Reyes and Inverness Ridge made me homesick. I grew up in W. Marin.

    I'll be back to read more!

  2. Tea-
    West Marin is such a beautiful place. I bet your childhood was wonderful!